February Highlight - Amethyst: The Crystal For General Health and Spiritual Protection
I’m sure you’re very familiar with this beautiful purple stone 💜 Abundantly available worldwide, Amethyst are usually among the first crystal we acquire into our collection and ready to be picked up from the shelves in nearly every crystal shop. It's the most sought crystal in the world and for a great reason - It's easily accessible, affordable, it comes in a variety of shapes, and packed with amazing healing properties!
History and Lore
It takes its name from the Greek Word 'amethystos', which means “a remedy against drunkenness" and is linked to the fables of the greek God Dionysus ( or Bacchus), the God of Wine. The myth story tells us that the greek god Bacchus, angry due to an insult, was determined to condemn those who crossed his path to be eaten by his tigers. Unfortunately, when a girl named Amethyst was on her way to a shrine to worship the Goddess Diana, she came across the deadly tigers and just as when the beasts sprang to her, Diana transformed the girl into a clear crystal. Remorseful, Dionysus poured grape juice over the crystal as an offering, thus giving the stone its beautiful purple hue. The story continued to inspire us that Amethyst could calm anger and relieve frustration.
Dionysus being pulled in a chariot by tigers. Mosaic painting from the Archaeological Museum in Seville.
Amethyst have been prized for more than 25'000 years. Ancient civilizations, such the Egyptians, Romans and Greeks have been adorning their crowns, scepters and rings with these mystical gems as Amethyst was attributed as the symbol of power and royalty.
Amethyst is also labeled as the birthstone to those born in the month of February, to the zodiac sign of Aquarius, and traditionally given on the sixth wedding anniversary.
" I am purified and protected as the Violet Flame infuses my entire being."
Amethyst is a classic. Loved by gemologists for its diverse mineral selection and formation, and turned for by many energy healers. Amethyst is sought for its striking purple color, and for its peaceful and cleansing vibes it brings in every space.
Emotionally and spirituality, Amethyst can help bring clarity, mindfulness, balance, deep contemplation, and serenity.
It is linked to the third eye and crown chakras, therefore it is a classic tool to introduce to those trying to enter a meditative state and maintain conscious awareness of the Divine/ Higher Power. Since it stimulates the third eye chakra It acts as a wonderful 'psychic eye' opener while protecting us against lower energies. This is no wonder why Amethysts are often sold as big geodes and recommended to placed facing the main entrance of the home - To stop any negativity from entering our premises.
Amethyst association with sobriety evolved till today's era for being known as the crystal for good health. But how do you use it for health? By simply making crystal water / gem elixir!
To make an Amethyst elixir
- Place a clean and cleansed amethyst tumbled stone submerged in purified water. It's best that you set an intention before placing the crystal in the water.
- Cover the vessel with a cheesecloth to prevent from bugs or dust from entering.
- Place the crystal water on a sunny windowsill, somewhere between 9am to 12pm ( high prana energy, folks!). If there's no sun, don't worry! Energy is around us afterall! Leave the water to be infused with crystal goodness for at least 3 hours.
- To super charge your elixir you may choose to surround the water with 4 to 6 laser quartz points. Let the magic brew!
- Once activated, you can consume the elixir right away.
If you are making a large quantity, place a few more tumbled stones. When storing, make sure you transfer the water to a dark container and place it in the fridge up to a week. Since Amethyst is considered a very safe stone with gentle energies, you can drink to your hearts desire.
How to Use Amethyst
Here are a few tips on how you can work with this wonderful gem:
- Hold an Amethyst crystal on your head to help alleviate headaches or migraines.
- Having trouble sleeping? Tuck a little crystal underneath your pillow. Bonus point: It promotes dreaming!
- Getting a little overwhelmed & anxious when you're near people? Carry an Amethyst crystal and combine it with Black Tourmaline, Obsidian, Jet and Hematite and in a pouch and bring it along with you.
- Strengthen your intuition muscles by placing an Amethyst tumbled stone on your third eye for 10 minutes. This is particularly helpful when trying to get insights on how to improve your overall health.
- If budget allows, invest on a large Amethyst geode and place it in the living room to invite relaxation, calm and happiness.
- Cleanse & charge other crystals and gemstones by placing them on a Amethyst cluster. Although it's great to re-energize other crystals, your cluster may need some cleansing from time to time too.
More About Amethyst
Additional healing properties: Spiritual Protection, Purification, Divine Connection, Third Eye Opener, Enhance Intuition, Releasing of Addictions, Induce Calm & Relaxation, Soothe Fears, Release of Karmic Baggage, Stimulates the Mind, Connection to the Spirit Realm, Understanding the Root of Cause in One's Disease/ Imbalance
Mineral Family: Quartz
Crystal System: Trigonal
Chemistry: Silica - silicon dioxide, SiO2
Color Range: Pale to Deep Purple
Source: Brazil, Uruguay, Bolivia, Mexico, Africa, Canada, Russia, USA, Europe
Cleansing: Smoke, Water, Sound, Moonlight
Crystal Water: Direct and Indirect Method
Care: Can discolour if left in direct sunlight
Star Signs: Aquarius, Pisces
Associated Planets: Jupiter, Neptune
Associated Chakra: Third Eye Chakra, Crown Chakra
Associated Dieties: Bacchus, St. Valentine
Associated Seasons: Spring, Imbolc, Ostara
Herb/ Essential Oil Pairing: Lavender, Black Spruce, Cedarwood, Chamomile, Citronella, Clary Sage, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Peppermint, Sage, Sandalwood, Spearmint
Notes: Since Amethyst stimulates both third eye and crown chakras, it can keep you awake at night, disrupting your sleep. There's no such thing as "one crystal fits all" when it comes to crystal healing. Energy healing is about experimenting which method works best for you, so I encourage you to try it out and see it for yourself. If Amethyst keeps you awake at night, try placing it away from the crown chakra and somewhere across the room.