March Highlight - Aquamarine: The Crystal for Courage and Cleansing
March babies are so lucky to have such gorgeous crystal as their birthstone - Aquamarine, known as the Stone of Courage, has been around since the time of the ancient Greeks. Linked to the zodiac sign of Pisces and given as a token of love during the 19th wedding anniversary, Aquamarine is your go-to crystal to instil your being with calm and serenity. But there is so much more to this cool stone 💙.
HISTORY AND LORE
The name Aquamarine is derived from the Latin word that means 'Water of the Sea' due to its color resemblance to frozen water. Because of its affinity to the water spirits and of Neptune ( a.k.a Poseidon), the Roman God of Sea as well as storms and winds, sailors often carried a piece of Aquamarine to bestow them with protection during perilous voyages or being lost at sea but many also did carried them for luck in catching fish for the day.
Some legends even say that the Aquamarine crystal was the jewel that fell out from a mermaids treasure chest and who ever held it, had the power to control storms and raging waters.
The Return of Neptune (1754), oil on canvas, 69.9 x 113 cm, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY. Wikimedia Commons.
CAN IT CURE YOU FROM POISONING?
In 1377, Europe, a man named William Langland, author of ‘The Vision Concerning Piers and the Plowman’, has made claims that Aquamarine was the ultimate antidote against poisoning, a threat to many high class individuals. It was undoubtedly a bold move to affirm such claim that his reputation soared and news of the antidote was widely spread across Europe. Whether the treatment was successful or not, there is no documented claims found.
WHAT IS AQUAMARINE?
Aquamarine is a sky-blue to blue-green variety of Beryl and can range from opaque to transparent. Intensified blue Aquamarines are usually heat treated to enhance its beauty and are the preferred medium to turn them into breathtaking jewellery pieces. They are often found in their natural hexagonal crystal structure and for this same reason, they are prized and particularly valuable to crystal collectors. The more affordable quality Aquamarines are usually the opaque varieties with white strikes.
Aquamarine's distant cousins, the Emerald as well as Heliodor and Morganite, are all beryls with different mineral deposits that conclusively contribute to their classic colors we all know. Emerald is green due to the presence of chromium, iron and vanadium, Heliodor's color ( Golden Beryl ) is due to iron, and morganite soft pink color is due to minute traces of manganese.
THE LARGEST EVER FOUND
Large pieces of Aquamarines are commonly found, but the largest ever discovered piece was in 1910, Minas Gerais, where this huge specimen weighed 110kg, 48cm long and 38cm in diameter! Below, was another stunning piece discovered in 1980 in Minas Gerais, weighing 45kg and 91cm long, and named as 'Dom Pedro'. Its ultimate fate was turning it into the world's largest cut Aquamarine gem weighing 10,363 carats.
Left: Agenor Tavares with the original aquamarine crystal. Photo courtesy of Tony Kampf. Right: The Dom Pedro aquamarine obelisk sculpted from the original crystal. Sculpted by Bernd Munsteiner
HOW TO USE AQUAMARINE
Simply looking at Aquamarine instantly calms me. In fact, most blue coloured crystals have similar effect - they soothe, calms an angry temper, and infuses our being with serenity. Powered by the element of Water, Aquamarine has cleansing effects in our emotional side. That's why they're great in 'cleansing' away fears and doubts, and instil you will confidence and courage.
If you're dealing with some kind of emotional pain or fear, harness the power of the Water Spirit and Aquamarine to soothe you. Here's a ritual for you to try.
What you will need:
- Lemon or Clary Sage essential oil or incense. Or try our very own "Water Incense".
- 1 x Aquamarine crystal
- 1 x Light blue candle or our 'Healing Ritual Candle'
- Ocean ambience sounds or submerged water sounds. But any relaxing music will do.
- Water to drink after your healing session
- 20 minutes if your time
- Cleanse your healing space with intention to bring calmness, using your chosen incense. Call forth the Spirits of the Water Element and Aquamarine and ask to cleanse away any energy, emotion and fears that is not your own.
- Lay down and place the Aquamarine crystal over your Sacral Chakra if your fear is about emotional trauma from the past. Place it on the Solar Plexus if your fear is linked to lack of confidence. Place your hand over the crystal.
- Take 10 deep breaths to settle.
- Close your eyes and imagine yourself stepping into the ocean until it reaches your chest level. Ask yourself what are you most anxious about and afraid to face?
- Once you've found the answer, imagine a big wave approaching. And as it reaches you, hold your breath for a second or two and visualize yourself dunking your head under the wave. See all your fears and concerns being cleansed away from your Sacral/Solar Plexus Chakras.
- Imagine a big blue orb surrounding your chakra and Aquamarine, getting brighter and bluer every time you dunk your head.
- When you feel you've done enough cleansing, finish off your ritual and say: "I Am Renewed". Repeat as many times as you like.
- Wiggle your toes, fingers and gently open your eyes. Drink water to hydrate. Thank the Water Spirits and crystal for their healing work.
The act of submerging in water represents the symbology of renewal, cleansing and rejuvenation just as it is in baptisms and ritual baths. We leave our impurities, sins, energetic debris, and old-self in the water to later re-emerge as a new person. You can absolutely do this ritual in a warm bath!
You might be wondering why a blue crystal like Aquamarine is placed on the Sacral and Solar Plexus Chakra. Placing complimentary colors onto the chakras have tremendous healing effect. In this case, feelings of fear and anger is a result of an overactive sacral and solar, so to 'cool' it down you'll need soothing crystals like Aquamarine or Amethyst.
" I am Renewed. I am Cleansed. I Regain back my Power."
MORE ABOUT AQUAMARINE
Additional healing properties: Cooling, soothing, enhancement of clear communication, empowerment, calming, connects to Divine Feminine
Mineral Family: Beryl
Mohs Hardness: 7 1/2 to 8
Crystal System: Hexagonal system
Chemistry: Beryllium Aluminum Silicate Be3Al2(Si16O18)
Color Range: Pale light blue to deep Sea-Green
Source: Brazil, Pakistan & Afghanistan
Cleansing: Warm soapy water, moonlight, sacred smoke, sound
Crystal Water: Indirect Method. Contains aluminum
Care: Don't expose to sunlight for long
Star Signs: Pisces & Aquarius
Associated Planets: Neptune
Associated Chakra: Throat Chakra, Heart Chakra
Associated Dieties: Neptune, Poseidon
Associated Seasons: Winter
Crystal Pairings: Larimar, Emerald, Heliodor, Morganite, Chrysocolla, Gem Silica, Turquoise, Blue Topaz, Ajoite.
Herb/ Essential Oil Pairing: Lemon, Clary Sage, Cedarwood, Eucalyptus